An Inspirational Moment

inspiration  (ˌɪnspɪˈreɪʃən) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]
n
1. stimulation or arousal of the mind, feelings, etc, to special or unusual activity or creativity
2. the state or quality of being so stimulated or aroused
3. someone or something that causes this state
4. an idea or action resulting from such a state
5. the act or process of inhaling; breathing in


Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition 2009


Now and again real inspiration presents itself and one is given an opportunity, a moment, in which to feel a spark of creativity. It's the responsibility of each person to recognize the things that inspire them and to act on that inspiration.

Totally heavy, I know. But, it's true and I was reminded of it again recently.

Every day I do the same thing. I get up at the same time. I have the same routine to get out of the house. I get to work and go through the same motions to move the day forward. Even my work is similar from project to project. The routine of it sucks the inspiration from my days. It's not boring, mind you. It's just the same. A lot. 

When we get caught up in routine, it's easy to ignore inspiration. When you look out the same window eight hours a day, five days a week, the view ceases to be interesting. When you're shoveling out the 120th inch of snow, the magic gets buried under your disdain for winter. That's why it's so important to recognize those little glimmers of inspiration and latch on to them.

Today someone sent me a link to a music video and I was inspired.

Jonathan Coulton is the geek equivalent of Elvis - he has a huge songbook and a rabid fan base of which I count myself a member. Often, fans often honor their favorite artists with fan art or gifts. In the nerd world, those gifts tend to be really freakin' cool. One of Jonathan Coulton's fans created a music video to go with his song Shop*Vac. Please to enjoy: Jonathan Coulton's Shop*Vac

Epic Fan Gift to Wil Wheaton

Now remember, what inspires me may not inspire you. So, if you think this video is bad or boring or stupid then, well, you're just not as cool as me. #joking

All kidding aside, I watched this video and, when it was done, I wanted to be BETTER. I wanted to be creative and to stretch myself. I wanted to do make something cool and innovative. This is inspiration in its purest form - something that makes you want to expand and create and improve.


As much as we make fun of the Double Rainbow guy, he was seriously inspired by that sky. He may also have been seriously stoned but...  My point is that, when you stumble on that thing that makes your heart skip or your brain jump, wallow in it. Hold on to it. Keep that feeling fresh and then apply it to something in your day. Recognize the inspiration and make it work for you.

In an effort to help you do just that, Cassandra and I decided that we'd dedicate this week's blog posts to things that inspire us. Sadly, we are uninspired-ly calling this "Inspiration Week." So check back on Wednesday and Friday and see if anything lights a fire under your butt and makes you want to get creative.

Now, I'm going to go and watch that video again and try to be as creative as that guy.

- Alex

1 comment:

  1. I so knew you were gonna like that video! ;) I have watched it at least 4 or 5 times in absolute awe...

    ReplyDelete