100 Years Too Late

Last week Google did another "theme" day on their search engine. This time it was an amazing, interactive, nod to Jules Verne. If you didn't have a chance to see it, it looked like this:

I cannot boast to have spent my childhood tucked away in the library, reading Jules Verne novels. However, I have always been a huge fan of Disney's version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I loved the creepiness, the fantasy, and most of all... the aesthetic. My taste has always leaned toward the Victorian (if I'm being honest with myself though, I think I'm just a big fan of anything that is too ornate and/or French). Just look at these gorgeous book covers:


What makes the Jules Verne aesthetic truly unique is the introduction of technology. The meshing of the highly decorative and the technology of Victorians (sprockets, levers, etc.) create a look that is both lush and progressive. One of the issues I have with modern design (big square buildings that look like glass cubes, rooms without nooks... you see where I'm going) is that it seems to not have a artisan's touch anywhere. I want to look in a corner and see a charming detail or appreciate the texture of a drapery next to the texture of a plaster wall. I feel more comfortable with the idea of a learned person being surrounded by books and curios from around the world, instead of a computer and a smart-phone. *sigh*  I missed my time I guess. Of course, I could always get hip and just go full-blown Steampunk..


I do try to interject as much of this aesthetic into my home as possible. In the last few years (because of the new little people in my house) I haven't been able to devote as much time to refining my decor as I used to. But, that is going to change soon. It's time to get back at it. The vibe of my home is really important to me, and it has been neglected at the altar of practicality for way too long. My walls need artwork, corners need detailing, and antique fairs need attending.

So, I wait with bated breath for Spring to get here so I can open the windows and let the fresh air (and ideas) in! Hopefully I'll have some thoughts to share with you on this subject very soon.

–Cassandra

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I agree. Computers are so sterile. We have a shared study with 2 computers and it is horrible. Plain walls, 2 desks, office chairs and a filing cabinet. On the other hand my workroom is a mess of fabric, paper etc. I plan to hang my quilts and collections of treasures from around the world if I can just persuuade Hubby that he really must do the fixings for me. He seems to think plain walls are lovely Aaaaargh!

    ReplyDelete