Holy Guacamole!

As I've mentioned before, one of my crafty resolutions this year is to become a better cook. Luckily, this past weekend I had a great opportunity for some learnin'! My cousin-in-laws invited us over for a dinner that included a lesson in guacamole done the right way. And let me tell you, it was exceptional. Would it not have been bad manners, I would have eaten the whole bowl by myself.

My gift to you... the Best. Guacamole. Recipe. Ever. (with photos):


4 Cloves of Garlic (diced)















Then ground up (with a few de-seeded jalapenos and a diced yellow onion) using a mortar and pestle. You see, that's the trick right there. The smashing is where the flavor lies. I was gifted (by same cousins) at Christmas my own mortar and pestle. I can't wait to try this myself!

8 ripe avocados, chopped and then mashed in a large bowl (along with some cilantro) using 2 spoons. Onion-garlic-jalapeno mixture gets mashed in too at this point. Then there is the lime... see it in action in photo above! Diced roma tomatoes can be added now if you like them. Salt and pepper to taste. 

Hopefully you have something that looks (and tastes) like this:

See, this is an example of having the right tools for the job. The smashing of certain ingredients in the mortar and pestle really added to the flavor and texture of this guacamole. I have been making it for years by just chopping, but this is so much better! Gracias to my family for turning me on the the beauty of this cool kitchen tool. I can't wait to figure out what else can be made better by using it!

–Cassandra

No comments:

Post a Comment