Friday Finds: A Hint of Spring

Add caption
The weather outside is frightful with promises of wind-chill temptures between -10 F and -20 F this weekend. There's snow on the ground and low, gray cloud cover. The trees are bare and the ground is hard.

Time to think about planting a garden!! :)

I know, I know. I sound like a crazy person. But, believe it or not, this is the time to start seeds indoors - ensuring a hearty set of plants to put in the garden when the earth finally thaws. The rule of thumb is to start your seeds ten weeks prior to when they're to go in the ground. Now, granted, it's still a tiny bit early to actually PLANT my seeds but it's not too early to order them.

Enter my favorite new site, Baker Street Heirloom Seeds (thank you SSF for the introduction!)  I started defaulting to heirloom plants a number of years ago, finding the fruit of my garden to be more delicious and more interesting. True, the heirloom varities can often be less hardy but I'll trade a little more work for a better tasting tomato (or cucumber, or pepper, or....)

Baker Street Heirloom is a family business with a great story. They produce a gorgeous, funny, and FREE catalog that you can order from the site. And, besides offering an amazing variety of heirloom seeds, they also boycott all gene-altering companies and their seeds are all non-hybrid, non-GMO, non-treated and non-patented.  I really love these guys.

So... get your seeds started now - or, at least, start thinking about what your garden is going to look like. It'll help you get through the remaining weeks of cold, gray winter.

Doesn't this look lovely??
Think Spring!

- Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment