UPDATE #1: Back to Basics (Free Hat Pattern)

Update #1: So, I finished the pattern and there were a few issues with the final product. For one, it was WAY too shallow for my head. It fit the bill in terms of being big enough to fit over my hair without making marks in my "do", but it only covered half my ears. This is fine if my hair is down because my hair insulates my ears but, really, I want a hat the fits properly and does its job. Secondly, I wrote in a severe decrease at the end because I wanted the hat to have sort of a "flat" top (like a mushroom almost). I got the desired effect but the super-fast decrease ended up leaving a lot of "holes" in the top - almost as if I'd intentionally made eyelet. I used a loooooong tail of yarn to sew all the holes closed which was, as you can imagine, really tedious and frustrating.

So, I'm working on version 2 right now. I've increased the cuff at the start to 2 full inches (actually, it may be more - I need to measure) and I'm adding some buffer rows in the decrease at the top. If these fixes work, I'll be updated the pattern below. If they don't, I'll be making another one until I get it right. I'm nothing if not tenacious. LOL


We talk a lot about being distracted here - of being waylaid by shiny objects and the constant need to do something different. It's the basis of who we are. It's our shared trait that gave us our name.

Unfortunately, for me, the same trait that makes me want to try everything and be challenged is also the one that also makes me, occasionally, "burn out". Reading is a regular victim. At my reading peak, I belonged to three book clubs. Most of the time I can keep up pretty well with the responsibilities of one club plus some additional reading that's just for fun. But, every now and then, I just stop. I don't read anything accept online articles (blog post length - not NY Times length) and the backs of cereal boxes. These reading droughts can last months, or weeks. Regardless of their length, they are painful dry spells where I can't muster any interest in reading at all. As a matter of fact, when I'm in one of these lulls, I can't even imagine caring about reading ever again. And then, one day, I pick up a book and I'm back.

A visual representation of my craft drought
Since Cassandra and I began crafting in earnest, I've had a couple of small knitting droughts. Nothing major really - until recently. In case you haven't noticed, most of my posts lately have been about everything BUT knitting and/or crafting in general. The good news is, I picked up my stick again this past weekend and designed a little hat so it looks like the dry spell may be over.

It's no secret that I love designing. I'm not a huge fan of making the same thing twice but coming up with an idea and capturing the instructions in such  a way so that others can make it too is incredibly satisfying. Even when I was a beginner knitter, I would often go "off book" and try varying the pattern I was working. Now, with "easy" projects like hats, scarves, mittens, etc. I usually just look at a variety of patterns, try to find the commonalities in the creation of the item, and then put the common elements together with the stitch patterns, finishes, decorations, etc. that I know or can dig up from design books.

So, this is a really easy pattern. I had a random skein of Cascade 220 in my stash and a need for a hat that was the right shape to wear without leaving at marks on my stylish hairdo. You've seen this style of hat - all the hipster boys wear them.  If I were 20 years younger and wore skinny jeans, I'd fit right in. LOL

Here's the pattern as it exists in my head right now. If you decide to make this (should be an easy weekend project), please let me know if you find any errata in the pattern that I can correct. Enjoy!

Almost done

Hipster Hat

Use a worsted or DK weight yarn
Size 10 double-pointed needles
Gauge: 4 stitches = approx 1"

Cast on 75 stitches. If you need a larger or smaller hat, size your cast-on (up or down) in multiples of three (60, 63, 66, 69, 72, 75, 78, 81, etc.)
Place marker before you begin knitting in the round
K two rows, being careful not to twist your stitches
*K2, P2, repeat from * until piece measures 1.5 inches long
K one row
*K3, YO, repeat from * to the end of the row (this will leave you with a row of "eyelets")
K five rows
*K4, M1 (using the backward loop method), repeat from * to the end of the row
K five rows
*K5, M1 (using the backward loop method), repeat from * to the end of the row K five rows
*K6, M1 (using the backward loop method), repeat from * to the end of the rowK five rows
*K5, K2TOG, repeat from * to the end of the row.
K one row
*K4, K2TOG, repeat from * to the end of the row.
K one row
*K2TOG, repeat from * to the end of the row, do this twice (2 rows)
*K2TOG, repeat from * until the last stitch. K the last stitch

You should have some stitches left at this point (I'm not sure how many because I haven't actually gotten there yet!). Cut a tail and then your thread through the remaining stitches and pull tight. Weave in any loose stitches

Create an icord (see YouTube for video) or get a length of ribbon. Run the icord or ribbon through the eyelet holes at the top of the "cuff" and tie a bow.

E voila! You are done.

I may need to update this in a day or so when I finish the hat. Keep your eyes peeled for the word "update" added to the title.

Hope you like it.

- Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment